Please choose your territory and language
USA, English

A day in the life of: Roger Rinderknecht (4X)

30. March 2011

6:45 a.m.

Every morning I am 'gently' woken up by my children. The youngest takes pleasure in pinching my nose and my 3 year-old son tests my reflexes and my stomach muscles by daringly jumping onto my abdomen.
I never used to be a morning person. How times do change. The kids aren't interested in whether Papa is still tired. Time to eat!

7:00 - 7:45
Send Mama on her way, prepare breakfast, eat, clear the battlefield, change diapers, get into clothes, brush teeth

8:00 - 8:30
The entire troop makes its way to day care. My kids spend the day there three times a week.

The first training session usually starts at this time. I have a slight cold and play it safe by starting the day off a little easier. The season will be starting soon and I can't afford a break due to illness. I've got enough to take care of anyway. The first flight connections are worrying me. I come back from San Francisco on April 18 and land in Kloten at 3:45 p.m. Soon after I continue my flight to South Africa at 10:45 p.m. Burning legs and a stiff back guaranteed. At least the confirmation of an upgrade of one of the flights to Business Class just came in. One less problem.

10:15 - 12:15
I meet with Christian from Swiss Cycling for an interview for their magazine in a restaurant at the main train station. Main topics: MTB World Championship in Switzerland and the upcoming pivotal qualification phase in BMX. I get butterflies in my stomach when I talk about it, which is a good sign!

12: 30 - 1:45
I sit down again at the computer and write the 'A day in the life of...' article for BMC while my pasta is cooking. Add a little chicken and olive oil - the simple meal is done. I eat while typing. Unfortunately I have to forgo my 20-minute power nap today, which usually does me a lot of good.

2:00 - 3:30
The mailman rings the doorbell and gives me my next task. A freshly painted, new BMX frame. I can hardly wait and begin putting it together immediately.

4:00 - 5:15
It's immediately subjected to a hardness test. During the sprint training on the road, both the bike and my legs feel great. It's finally gotten a somewhat warmer again. I even manage to sweat!

Now I need to hurry up. A brief shower and then off to the day care. My girlfriend has an event at work and it's my job to take care of the kids. But I'm already looking forward to giving the little ones a hug!

5:30 -8:00
Pick-up service, buy bread, prepare supper, clean up, a short play time, into the bathtub, tell stories. And the kids are soon sleeping peacefully.

8:00 - 9:15
It is now time for the quietest part of the day. As long as there's nothing urgent on the schedule, I try to unwind at least for this brief period and prepare the next day.
The days are just too short. It never gets boring. I love my life!

9:45 OUT